JOB ROLE & DUTIES
The County Assessor is elected to a four-year term and must be a Level III Assessor - Appraiser. The official functions are under the direction of the State Department of Local Government Finance.
County Assessor duties include: (IC 36-2-15-5)
- Countywide equalization.
- Selection and maintenance of a countywide computer system.
- Certification of gross assessments to the county auditor.
- Discovery of omitted property.
- Secretary of the County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals.
ASSESSMENT DATE IS JANUARY 1ST OF EACH YEAR
NOTICE OF ASSESSMENT REGISTRATION
A Notice of Assessment Registration is required by law if for any reason a building permit is not required. This notice is required for the entire county, including incorporated areas.
Items subject to this notice are:
- Construction or placement of building, swimming pool or other yard structure.
- Horizontal or vertical extension of building, including extensions such as patios.
- Major remodeling, including finishing of attic or basement.
- Addition (not replacement) of fireplace, central air conditioning, central heating, commercial paving, bath tub, sink, toilet, water heater, any plumbing fixture.
Any owner of real property, or the owner’s agent, who fails to file this notice when required is subject to a civil penalty of $100 pursuant to Indiana Code 6-1.1-5-15. THIS PENALTY WILL BE ENFORCED.
The Notice of Assessment Registration form is available from the Dubois County Assessor or on line at www.in.gov/dlgf under DLGF forms.
AFFIDAVIT OF DESTROYED OR REMOVED PROPERTY
An Affidavit of Destroyed or Removed Property is required to be filed by December 31st with the Assessor's Office for any structure that has been removed from property in Dubois County to be taken off of the tax rolls for the following assessment date.
The Affidavit of Destroyed or Removed Property form is available from the Dubois County Assessor or on line at www.in.gov/dlgf under DLGF forms.
Notices & Affidavits may be returned to the Assessor’s office by mail at 1 Courthouse Square Jasper, IN 47546, by Fax 812-481-7014 or by e-mail at email@example.com .
SALES DISCLOSURE FORMS
When a transfer of real property interest is made for valuable consideration a Sales Disclosure Form must be submitted, regardless of whether any conditions apply. Even if a transfer is made without consideration but any of conditions B(13) through and including B(15) on the form apply, a form must be submitted.
If a transfer is made without consideration and none of the conditions B(13) through and including B(15) apply, then no form needs to be submitted.
Dubois County Assessor's Office requires that all Sales Disclosures be entered on the State of Indiana sales disclosure website prior to delivering it to the Assessor's Office. Sales Disclosure website can be found at http://gatewaysdf.ifionline.org.
Any questions can be referred to the Dubois County Assessor at 812-481-7010.